Following yesterday’s issues with the tire valve, I brought Kuroko up to the Workshop in the Sky. Mostly I wanted to clean and oil the chain, which I did without fanfare. But I also wanted to resolve the issues with the inner tube’s valve and the pump.
I’d pumped up the inner tube itself yesterday afternoon following the ride, and it still seemed to be holding air. (The pressure readings aren’t really meaningful when the tube isn’t installed in a tire on a rim.) I tested it today with the pump head, to see if I could attach the pump head, pump in some air, and then remove the pump head without also removing the valve core. The first try was a failure, but then I screwed in the valve core tightly using the proper Parktool valve core tool (VC-1), and after that there was no trouble. I let the air out of the inner tube and folded it to store in my saddle bag as a spare.
I’m still thinking about long-term strategies, and if I want to replace the pump, and if I want to try tubeless again (and as a part of that if I want to try different rims). And balancing all this with the consideration that I just like spending money on the bike and changing things, and I really shouldn’t do that just for the sake of spending money and changing things.
For now I’ve ordered a couple of new inner tubes. I packed the inner tube and tools back in the saddle bag, put the bag and the pump back on the bike, and she’s ready to roll the next time I want to ride. (Next weekend is not looking promising.)
You must log in to post a comment.