Ol’ Paint before the work begins

Ol' Paint before the work begins

Ol’ Paint has been sitting unused outside the Halfakid’s apartment since he bought his new bike in January, while I’ve been planning a total refurbishment — including a new paint job, naturally. Today I picked her up to get the project rolling. We’d already cannibalized the pedals, so I brought along some that I’ve had sitting in the parts bin.

Battersea from Spray.Bike
Battersea from Spray.Bike

I just rode her to my workplace, about 7km, where the stripping and painting will be done. These photos are a record of how low she’s fallen before the work begins, as well as showing some of the components before they’re replaced.

Hand grip, brake lever and shifter
Hand grip, brake lever and shifter

It took me a couple of tries to remember how the shifters work!

Broken water bottle mounting bolts
Broken water bottle mounting bolts

Triple crankset
Triple crankset

Shimano 8-speed sprocket and Deore derailleur
Shimano 8-speed sprocket and Deore derailleur

Top tube showing paint chipping
Top tube showing paint chipping and peeling name badge

The top of the stem has faded in the sun
The top of the stem has faded in the sun

Rear triangle with paint chipping
Rear triangle with paint chipping

Detail of paint chipping and quick release lever damage
Detail of paint chipping and quick release lever damage

Torn saddle
Torn saddle

Bottom bracket and crankset
Bottom bracket and crankset

Peeling name badge on seatstay
Peeling name badge on seatstay
Name badge on headtube
Name badge on headtube

Broken saddle from twisting
Broken saddle from twisting

The seatpost is stuck in the frame. We’ve tried penetrating oil and riding the bike a couple of months without the seatpost bolt — no luck. Today I sprayed the area with apple cider vinegar (which I’ve read is good for this aluminum-to-steel corrosion). Then I turned the bike upside-down, stepped on the saddle and twisted the bike frame. After some effort I felt something give. Closer inspection revealed that I’d done nothing more than break the saddle.

On Monday I’ll put the seatpost in a vise and try twisting the frame again. If the seatpost won’t come out, there’s no point in continuing the project.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.